Saturday, February 7, 2009

First, Second..Third

I have really been thinking a lot recently about birth order. Maybe it's because I teach school and I see children all day and know exactly where they fall in the birth order in their family by the way they act... whether it's the firstborn... the baby.... and even the only the child. Last night I began to relate it back to my own family...
Growing up in a family of 4 children...4 girls nonetheless...there is a distinct birth order characteristic that I have and can assign to each and every one of us. Now, I am sure that 2...if not all three of my sisters will comment on my "documented" findings and agree completely!!!!
I begin this enlightened findings I will share a LOVELY photograph of my siblings and I...


I'm sure, all of you are either doing one of two things right now. ONE, you are either feeling sorry for the poor little children in the picture...or TWO,you are chuckling your pants off at the groovy 70's clothes and hair that my family is sporting with great pride in the church directory photo!!!


To begin with, I start with my oldest sister Andrea. The First Born.
First Borns are often seen as high achievers, self reliant and confident. I see that so much in my sister Andrea. She is the one who is not afraid to to take chances and risks and put herself out there and not be afraid. On the other hand, the first born can be the "Mother Hen"...the boss, the one in charge of getting things done. There too...I see Andrea's traits in that quality so much!!! We all have to remember though that for most of her life...Andrea was at Auburn and missed out on so much!!!:)

The second born, Kim. She is very different from Andrea. The Second child is very competitive in every aspect of their lives...UMMM KIM!!! Second born children have a very logical thinking mind and are always seeking perfection in everything they do..Ummm KIM!!!! Second born children thrive in technical type professions such as painting, drawing,and details...Ummm KIM!!!! Need I say more? This could not be any more my sister Kim!!!!

Now Me...The Third in Line...Neither the oldest or the baby. I'm sure you are all thinking that I am about to pour on the poor pitiful me act right now so I will try my best not to. Being the third born is not really that bad. Being the third in line I had to never stand up for myself. I always had two older sisters that did that for me. That has carried over to myself as an adult. I absolutely hate confrontation! I do like to please others though! The third born tries to please everyone...doesn't like for people to be mad or upset with them...and has a high level of creativity! I honestly see myself in these characteristics. Honestly!!!
I also found that the third born has an innate sense of care giving in that of nurses, fireman and TEACHERS!!!! WOW that strange that I am a teacher myself!!!

OK...Now we are finally at the end...the 4Th and final born! Allison! Being the youngest child in our family meant that you had three extra mothers growing up. Allison was and is to this day the Baby of the family. In my research, I found that the rules, guidelines and groundwork for parenting has all been laid by the time baby # 4 comes along. #4 has it made when asking to go somewhere, for something, and getting their way! I found that typically the youngest is the most headstrong about what they want and when they want it. I agree with that in relation to Allison. She has always been one to set her mind to something and see it through to the end.
Well this is just a little of what I have found out about my family and why we are the way we are! Even though we were born in a particular order...different years...have different personalities...we are all close and love each other very much!!!!

5 comments:

Chris Hamm said...

Wait Just one minute...Didnt Allison get a brand new mustang for her first car....ok other sister leave a comment about your first car...im positive they were all new and shiny and red... Yea Right

Michelle said...

What's that mean????? Mine was red and shiny...does that have ANYTHING to do with BIRTHORDER????

loyo03 said...

I am DIGGING the outfit Gretel!!!

Michelle said...

Did you notice the matching digs on my little sister Birgite? What was my mother thinking....????

Anonymous said...

Ok.... I agree with your comments. Our "birth order" is definately in line with all of the books. I did not see where you listed the second-born as being "intelligent, consientious, etc..." but we ALL know that this is a very common attribute of the second-born child.(especially in our family) Obviously this was a small oversight on your part.

Mother should be ashamed of herself for allowing us out of the house dressed as we were, but she went one step further and had our picture made.... What was she thinking? :)

ps. I love all of the posts... keep them coming.