
This past Tuesday, July 30, 2008 our sweet Nin Nin died in her sleep. She had been enduring several health issues over the past 6 months. Her little body was tired and she died in her sleep Monday night. It has been a very sad thing for my family. When I got the call...the very first thing that came into my mind was...HOW will I tell Nicholas???? Of course Nicholas was devastated. He sobbed. So many times we just don't understand why people are taken from us. Nicholas had NEVER had anyone to die that was close to him. This was his first experience with death. As I sat in the bed Tuesday morning holding him...I thought about just how important his Nin Nin was to him. Truly, he looked at her as his real Grandmother. He loved her so much!!!! When I think about her coming to my house the day after I came home from the hospital from having Nicholas...I remember her holding him and falling in love with him at that moment. She petted, hugged, kissed, and doted on him like no other. I felt totally at ease going back to work when he as 3 months old...just because Nin Nin was keeping him everyday. Many times, she told me that she would just sit and watch him sleep while he was with her. Whenever I would come to pick him up...he would be as clean as whistle...hair brushed and smelling of baby powder in which she probably used a bottle a week on him.
As he got older, he loved her even more. He loved her grandkids that would be at her house after school some days. She was always VERY protective of him though. She would follow around behind that toddler every step that he would make. He could have NEVER gotton hurt or bumped at Nin Nin's house because she was ALYWAYS right there with him. I would love to come and pick him up after school and see Nin Nin on the couch with Nicholas in her lap. She loved him so much...as he loved her also. Nicholas became true family to her. He would go over to her house every Christmas Eve to spend the day with her and her family. They would all draw names and exchange presents with each other. He did this every year.
When Nicholas started to school, he even continued to go over to visit with her on Saturday's and school holidays. He would beg me to call Nin Nin and see if he could go over to her house. Of course she always said yes.
Nicholas never outgrew the need for his Nin Nin. He would have still been going to see her regulary if had not been for her health issues and her moving to Birmingham.
We are going to miss her so much. She was such a loving and caring God fearing woman. She would read the Bible and pray with Nicholas everyday. She taught him so much. I know that we will see her again one day in heaven.



No comments:
Post a Comment